Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Invisible Man of the 21st Century

From: Boyce Watkins - Syracuse Finance [mailto:bwatkins@twcny.rr.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 1:18 PM
To: Russell Robinson
Subject: Re: :Seeking thoughts on the brother left out of the 9/11 movie
Damn Dr. Robinson, that was deep and insightful. I learned something today.
I still think MI3 was a good movie though! Outside of that, this was intriguing and outstanding.
Boyce
----- Original Message -----
From: Russell Robinson
To: 'boyce watkins' ; 'BOTA'
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 7:50 PM
Subject: RE: { SPAM 2 }::Seeking thoughts on the brother left out of the 9/11 movie
As a student of mass media and cultural studies, let me say that in my honest opinion (educated opinion that is) this blunder, to put it mildly, is a clear cut example of cultural Marxism. We as African Americans have systematically failed to be active participants in the ownership of a large block of the historical cultural capital within this country’s pop iconography. In short, we have many more folk now getting a chance to spit on the mike and very few people who own the microphone factory. It is this re-presentation that Stuart Hall speaks of. Extending on this, many of us on this list serve have a basic knowledge of hegemony, the means of class domination vis-à-vis the mass production, now nonlinear, exponential reproduction of cultural texts. As a critic of popular culture, I find it hard incredibly hard to believe that this erasure from American history and 21st century American popular culture was an accident. In all sincerity I strongly feel—this was by design by way of the corporate elites who own the image making factories who incidentally are not interested in spreading fact but more interested in reaping high profits. Lastly, as I begin to defer, I think this brother’s omission from the screen calls for a serious inquiry into the definition of American and its relationship to the caste system that is fused to color and economics within our society. When the term American is used by the dominant Other, 10 times out of 10, the definition concentrates on white Americans primarily, the model minorities second, the dark people of color third and of course, the economically, socially, disenfranchised underclass at the deep bottom. As America is unequivocally in need of heroes, there is this unwritten caveat that the hero must fit the hegemonic ideal. If we really think about it, why did Paramount drop their deal with Tom Cruise—(allow me to make this point because I think it’s legit)? His masculinity has come under serious fire. In addition, his association with certain black folk may be undermining his white boy street credit. Isn’t it interesting that after allowing Kanye West a slot on the MI3 soundtrack, his popularity slowly stated to slip even further? Watching MI3, (it was a challenge cause the movie seriously was sorry) the franchise has now begun to enter into a serious sense of cultural consciousness at least as far as black folk are concerned. Ask yourself, has there ever been a reference to Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man in a mainstream “block buster” motion picture? Never…. That said, this omission is hardly an accident. I see it as a well orchestrated example of the racialized social contract being reinforced.
Russell

From: owner-bota@listserv2.duc.auburn.edu [mailto:owner-bota@listserv2.duc.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of boyce watkins
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 4:58 PM
To: BOTA
Subject: { SPAM 2 }::Seeking thoughts on the brother left out of the 9/11 movie
Hey brothers,
I wanted to know how everyone felt about the brother being left out of the 9/11 movie. They did a USA Today and CNN story on it recently, where a black man played a key role in saving others, and he was portrayed in the World Trade Center movie as a white man. I talked to his family, and they didn't seem so happy about it. I also got an email from the Producer, Michael Shamberg, who stated that it was a genuine mistake. I thought maybe he was writing to sue me or cuss me out, but he went through great pains to explain in a 2 page email (sent twice after he made revisions) why the mistake occured, and what he is doing to correct it. He also made some correct assertions about the piss poor journalism of Black America Web, who incorrectly stated that Thomas' character was being played by Nicolas Cage, and that there were two black men being misportrayed (there was only one). I am angry at Black America Web for this, and they really need to learn this new journalism term called "fact checker".
I communicated to him that while I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt, there are still serious concerns. For example, when spending hundreds of hours in preproduction and telling very detailed stories that are going to be portrayed in the highly visible nature of filmmaking, it would seem that SOMEONE at SOMEPOINT would say "Was he a black guy, a white guy, or what?" If the conversation happened and it was ignored, then that's a problem. If it didn't happen, then that's also a problem.
I was asked by the family of the Seargant to write his autobiography actually, but I am not sure if I want to do that. I personally feel that my irritation that someone dropped the ball on this matter might deflect from the fact that this brother is an American hero. There are times when I need to leave my "militancy" to myself. At the same time, I invited Shamberg to be a part of the ceremony to recognize this brother in public for his contribution to this country. In case you don't know, he arrived to the site AFTER THE SECOND TOWER HAD FALLEN, and still got out of his car. This dude is something else.
Hillary Clinton is coming to Syracuse in the near future and I have stated that as a condition of my supporting her desire to get votes in Syracuse, she needs to take this opportunity to do what the rest of New York has failed to do: recognize this brother for his contribution. I also feel that being a part of an organization with black male intellectuals, we should all be kept up on what is going on.
I realized that I have my own thoughts on the matter, but I am always interested in being the student, not just the teacher. I wanted to hear what others thought about this situation, and whether my outrage is shared by other black men.
Take care brothers, I am back in the US now, it's kind of strange to hear English again!
Boyce

No comments: