Tuesday, November 10, 2009

To get to heaven sometimes you have to go through hell

I find myself writing this when in actuality I should be working on my dissertation. Unfortunately, I am a bit preoccupied with the residue of previous bastards of my life. A colleague called me to share deep concern about what is and what is not right. In one regard I was flattered while on the other hand I was flabbergasted that someone would consider me a moral compass. I am about as chaotic neutral as one could be. For example, there are somethings I am just aggressively passionate about: my family, my philosophical sense of right and wrong, and coming to the aid of my friends, family and fellow humankind oh I forgot, social justice and advocacy for those who cannot advocate for themselves. (Sounds like a film noir anti hero) To put it bluntly, I don't like being screwed over and the only thing worse than me being screwed over is seeing those I care about getting screwed. Ok that sets the context. Liberation and emancipation are expensive. It cost money, time, and in some cases, even bloodshed. In other writings, I've said and still maintain that I am a pacifist. I don't like confrontation. By no means do I promote the use of physical violence to address conflict. However, I am a strong believer in the concepts of self defense, negotiation, and cerebral, intellectual, and symbolic violence. Self defense is self explanatory. If one puts hands on me or my family in anyway other than acts demonstrative of love and humanity, then those actions must be met not by equal, but superior force to sufficiently neutralize or severely incapacitate said individual. I hate to put it in those terms but it must be exact and unswervingly clear. Thats the intellectual way of saying, in hip hop terms, "you know the code of the street," On to the other strategies I mention, negotiation, cerebral, intellectual and symbolic violence, ironically, I take part of that from my dog, part for Bordieu, and one part which is strictly orgional.
Tune in for part 2

No comments: