Saturday, May 18, 2013

I heard it on the radio

I cannot and will not pretend to be a part of a "moral majority" that will police cultural tastes. I'm not in that class of folks. However, I do sincerely believe that there is a time and a place for everything.
I won't pretend to identify with everything that's played on mainstream black radio. In all honesty, what currently is popular is not essentially for me and my tastes. I'm not promoting Black Bourgeoisie elitism (snobbery), I'm just saying I've grown into another level of adulthood. There's Russell at 42 and Russell at 22. There's a 20 year difference. Case and point: circa 1991, there was BBD's "Do Me Baby" and "Poison." Politically, parentally, and academically, I don't align myself with that type of music anymore as it reflects quite a few things I'm counter to, despite the fact that I listened to it then. Do I think that free radio must be more cognizant to their audiences; absolutely. That said, where does the activism for change begin? Who among us is willing to challenge radio station PDs GMs and owners regarding drive time obscenity? Better yet, who among us is willing to petition the FCC to create broadcast policy that says there are certain hours that will be obscenity free on the radio, akin to the family viewing hour in television. But understand, regardless of laws on the books, they are only as good as those who choose to follow them.

No comments: