Saturday, May 13, 2006

The American Express Race Card

The son of Oden knows how to make me laugh--- those were the days...Let me say this for the record. The social limitations we place on race literally are just that, what we allow the limitations to be. Now that said-- I'm going back to my bread and butter-- the power dynamic that exists between the social constructions of the races (at least within an Americanized context). Too many theorists and social anthropologists have concluded that race is a social construct. Taking that a step further, we have to realize that within that system, there is a stigmatism that is placed on anything that does not conform to the "norm." In America, that norm is defined as the heterosexual, able bodied, WASP male. That same male sets the standard of living and in general what we consider normal which includes a subordinated status to women. The dichotomy that emerges from this gender and race performance is that it trickles down to the marginalized within America.
Localizing that-- specifically to us Black/African-American men. There is a power that one is able to take from demeaning another person-- a domination so to speak. Lets face the facts, we (brothers) try exceptionally hard to emulate what the ideal white man is supposed to be-- in fact in the hip-hop culture, I'd say we hyper-emulate it. First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the respect. I think Adeola is accurate in her assessment of white men for the simple fact that they white male privilege that enables them to do anything within our Americanized culture. I mean let's look at OJ. OJ had money power and respect. In fact he had a white
wife-- which to many was nothing more than a trophy. Now let's fast forward ten years after the trial. Today, OJ couldn't an election to be a dog catcher. Why? People think he got away with a fast one, the ultimate fast
one-- a black man offing a white woman. See in the Americanized sense, OJ was given a temporary race card of whiteness. He did his absolute best to distance himself from any signs of his blackness. Now again as we know in this culture race runs hand in hand with class and one of the chief measures of class in this culture is education (post secondary and intuitiveness) and money. OJ was making a pretty good bank during and after his peak. Got him a white wife which was available to him (strictly his choice) because of accessibility and acceptance. Of course his white card was declined at the trial when the court showed him how black he really was. Looking at this Duke case-- these charged folks, they have access and true white privilege to escape the stigma being placed on them.
Lastly I will share what I know about white women-- nothing.. My experience with one white woman was my last experience with any white women. The girl was docile let alone flaky. (JR knows this episode very well). She was crazy and at the very most I was less than satisfied. What stands out in my mind the image I had of us blah blah blah. (you fill in the blah blah blahs) It was so unnatural and so artificial. Walking just in the street I felt this was just not cool, not because of who she was, but because of what it represented. To me it represented an oddity, and in the back of my mind, I really felt I had to look over my shoulder 24/7 for a bottle to hit me in the head. I just didn't need the aggravation and unequivocally this woman was not worth the risk. I will say in my marriage, I strongly consider it intra cultural in the sense that my wife has had more international experience (having lived overseas for a few years) and attended nothing but TWIs. As a professor at an HBCU- it's difficult for her to adapt to the CPT way of life. For me, a strong product of the HBCUs I grew up in the CPT life and that starts a thread of our adventures... But all in all-- white
folks are different-- expect it and accept

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»