Saturday, April 14, 2007

UnEdited Version of Duke Lacrosse Case

Dear Editor:

In regards to the Duke lacrosse case, first please allow me to say that American justice is the best justice money can buy. As this may represent a victory for the three exonerated players, for the community this episode represents a tremendous loss. Our justice system in North Carolina, it typifies no more than I expected were I privileged and white. If only justice could be this meticulous for all our citizens what a truly great state this would be. But I am not naïve. I am a son of the south albeit, a black sheep of the family. I do know our southern trees have bearded strange fruit in the guise of black men for “allegedly” raping white women let alone look at them. As I am happy to see this ordeal come to closure to some degree, I must also ask not just the families of the exonerated players but also supporters of this duke lacrosse case, how does it feel to be wrongfully accused in a matter of race and rape? True to form as many legal scholars have predicted, the case where a black woman may be the victim of a rape and her alleged assailants are white, rarely does the case ever see the inside of a court room. Again I reiterate, had these families come from different zip codes and attended a less prestigious institution these boys would be in jail right now at the mercy of a public defender, let alone an overly aggressive inmate as opposed to the media campaigns demonstrated. Did anyone ask why their perp walk took place in the wee hours of the morning dresses as though they were going to college interviews? It was a PR move well orchestrated by the defense and the media. I would love to see the final legal bill for this case and come back to the question is there really justice for all. To me this is one the causes of my ever going bout with White People Fatigue Syndrome.

W. Russell Robinson

Durham, NC

No comments: