Thursday, July 10, 2008

Heaven or Helms

I have to admit, some days I am astonished and amazed by the goodness that white people are capable of while dually I am astonished and amazed by foolishness white folk can be capable of. July 4, 2008 was the last independence day for North Carolina Senator Jesse Helms. The Head Female In Charge aka DA WIFE stated that she would wear all white on the day he died. Luckily I was able to talk her down from that but at the same time I can understand her frustration and bitterness towards this man. It was almost like what my dad said on the day Elvis Presley died some 31 years ago. I like Elvis, since he's dead. To me that represents some sort of a moral discursive conflict. That said, I try not to consider myself an extremist in my political beliefs. That said, I also have to admit that I am human and I have made my share of enemies. Take my former boss for example. During my bit of employment mortal combat, I have to admit there were a few times where I had some pretty destructive thoughts about the woman and I am sure I was not on her birthday card list either. So I have a strong feeling if the situation were somewhat related, she conked out prematurely or even just simply conked out from natural causes, I would more than likely do something celebratory. If I am not mistaken, that usually was done when the oppressor came to their demise. From a slave master to Sadam Husain, ding dong the witch is dead.

Strangely this brings me to my meditation for the day. As Helms was being prepared to be lowered into the "deep six," the governor ordered that all flags be lowered to half staff in remembrance of Helms. When I read that a state employee decided not to do so in protest, I was pleasantly. When I learned that the man was white, I nearly had a heart attack. The 51 year old man had a crisis of conscious and just simply could not do something to honor Helms. Lets face it, was not exactly North Carolina's version of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. I mean this man opposed civil rights legislation, demonized homosexuality, fought the arts and pretty much damned anyone who had AIDS. By previous definition, Jesse Helms represents the emblematic visage of Southern White Folks. He knew how demonstrate true Southern Hospitality (provided you were white) while being one of the true strongholds of hegemonic male constriction-- simply put, White Male Patriarchy. He was a devout segregationist how wheedled the whip of power. That said, from my family's interactions with his office, he was dedicated to public service. I mean lets face the facts, his morals were skewed (and that is being nice). The converse however is that he was a model politician who just had questionable morals. He believed in service. Now-- that said, I do have a beef with the governor as well as the state personnel system who punishes a man who chooses to exercise political dissent. This individual, L.F. Eason a 51 year old white man, put it pretty bluntly:

"I don't see how anybody could celebrate his career. Everything he did was such a disservice to this state."

I really have been debating on writing a letter or even a column about this because I don't know if it will be printed. At the same time, I do believe it is important that this man be treated properly within the state personnel system.. As far as I am concerned, his politics definitely place him in a different category of whites-- Hell, he doesn't appear to be white folk. I have to give credit in this case where credit is due. Hats off to L.F. Eason!!!!!

No comments: