Friday, July 12, 2013

The Exploitation of Trayvon Martin

I saw this thing on Gawker, a story which featured Trayvon Martin dead body uncovered.

Wrote a letter about it, wanna read it here it go,,,


Greetings Mr. Weinstein: 
I trust this communiqué finds you well.  I came across your post from a good friend of mine who too is in the business of communication.  Upon reflection, when I first saw the photo, I was in complete shock.  The reasons for said shock were obvious; to see a dead child, who's death has sparked a national debate, left me speechless.  Examining the upper third, I did notice that it was from MS NBC's Tamron Hall. I want to believe this was not done with intent, but an honest misstep of judgment on the part of the photog in the courtroom and the ENG technician in the live truck.  Things like this happen in our market driven media based culture.  I'm not attempting to cosign on this as best practice; but instead understanding that mistakes do happen.  

This brings me to your conscious decision to re-present this over the web. I don't think you single handedly did this with any type of malicious intent.  This just reinforces the premise that one cannot un-ring a bell nor call a bullet back to the chamber once fired.  As I appreciate your attempt to share what you feel is newsworthy, and I do accept your news judgment, I feel respectfully that the methods, in this case at lease may need to be examined.  Unequivocally, this case is shocking,  bringing about strong emotional arousal.  Academically, my training points me to studies that link emotional arousal to sensationalism.  

In my honest opinion, sensationalism has infected what I like to believe is journalism.  I think it has "gone viral" in our newsrooms, our live trucks, to now our social media platforms.  This case, as I am sure you are aware has all the trappings of being a categorically sensationalized news case, which I hope to teach about in a case of best practices for new journalists.  What gives me reason for pause in this case is your decision to attach this photo.   The first obligation journalists have, according to the Society of Professional Journalist code of ethics is to seek the truth and report it.  The second obligation is to minimize harm.  Specifically it says, "— Be sensitive when seeking or using interviews or photographs of those affected by tragedy or grief."  Additionally it says, "— Recognize that gathering and reporting information may cause harm or discomfort. Pursuit of the news is not a license for arrogance."

I will not begin to entertain the question of your degree of hubris for the simple fact that I don't know you.  I am sure you are well intentioned and acted in a manner you believed was the right and just thing to do.  I want to say that I am beyond outraged regarding this incident.  As I am a father of a son;  I can promise you that if any harm as egregious as this were to come to him, my reactions as a parent would not be as controlled as they are in this message to you or as Trayvon Martin's parents.  I share your passion for social justice as without question, this case has parallels to Emmett Till and countless and nameless others who were recklessly dispatched by our culture of violence.  

At this time, I think what we have to do, what we must commit ourselves to doing is watchful observation.  I have my opinions and I have placed them in social media, but at the end of the day, court cases cannot be tried in the press nor the courts of public opinion.  I think your photo may have done more harm than good.  I was hurt. I was angered. Does this photo help to ease tensions or magnify them?


No comments: