Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Upgrading the HBCU-- Inspired by Don Lemon

I apologize for not seeming to get off of this topic, at the same time, I try to find the value in points I don't 100% subscribe to. I remember when Don Lemon was at NCCU last year: his tone was nothing like this, a rant from the black bourgeoisie. That said he does have some points I think we may need to consider, but we just have to tweak the audience a bit. I would opt to see some of his no talking points put into place at the university level because that's where social intelligences are formed and reinforced. 1) REVISIT DRESS CODES: There have been too many times I have seen students, both male and female not look the part of a college student but that of someone going to the club, or chilling on the block. Like code switching, students must learn how to code switch in their dress. Students (male and female) should be required to have at least two business suits in their wardrobe. The business suit is a uniform of the business world, but unfortunately, students are missing that important message from home. 2) MANDATORY FACE TO FACE INTERVIEWS AS PART OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS: When I worked at the North Carolina School of Science and Math, high school students who were candidates for admission had to go through an interview process. This provided a gauge for both the student and the institution to really assess if the candidate was a good fit. I also think it forces the student to develop much needed oral communication skills which represent a growing part of the college experience and the global political economy. 3) INSTITUTE MANDATORY STUDY ABROAD PROGRAMS: Personally, for me, the first time I went overseas to Europe, I was forced away from the xenophobic mindset that America was the center of the universe. In England and Spain, for me I experienced very little racism as I knew it. In Spain I was forced to learn rudimentary Spanish and I gained an appreciation for international travel. God willing, I will be able to go to Kenya next year. 4) RAISE THE ENTRANCE AGE FOR COLLEGE TO 21/MAYBE 25: I'll be honest, I did not gain an appreciation for college until I was 23. I nearly flunked out twice. But when I had to start paying out of my own pocket for grad school and put the student loans in my name, magically my grades became a priority. Further, as pointed out to me, the mind has yet to be fully developed at 18. During those years, the mind has little focus, and hormones are all over the place. This is that age of experimentation: sex, drugs, alcohol, defiance, (pick one that's not on the list). I didn't listen to too many people when I was 20, 21 or even 22. But again, those are my experiences and I don't want to generalize. 5) YEARLY APPLICATION TO THE UNIVERSITY/DEPARTMENT: In many of the best institutions, students are forced to have to justify why they should be allowed to continue in their programs. Students are required to submit portfolio material demonstrative of their journey towards their career path. In some cases, Ive seen students come back to school with no direction, no ambition other than to go back and hang with their friends. I think friendships are great, but you don't need a university for that. If you want to hang on the block, do it at home for free; don't waste your money or contribute to the astronomical amount of student loan debt. If you are at the university, you have entered a partnership to establish or in some cases change your career. Every year, that program plan should be visited and in some cases modified. That same program plan should be used in tandem with some means of yearly performance evaluation. If the quality of the student's work has not improved within one year, there is a breakdown that needs to be vetted. Maybe the student is not a good fit for the university or program and accommodations can be made to place the student where they need to be. Currently, this is not standard practice. Faculty, administrators, staff all receive yearly evaluations to justify why they should still be on the payroll. Students should have the same obligations. This concludes my version of no talking points w/out Don Lemon :-)

No comments: