Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Every Success Story Must Have A Beginning

The IRB is on my case. If I plan to be a self sufficent Ph.D. I've got to become my own proofreader. At least the revisions they want now ate more typographical as opposed to conceptual. The other good thing I can consider is that there revisions are only 1/2 of a page. I hope, trust and pray that after these revisions I'll be able to go back into social scientist mode. I pray to God there will be minimal distractions. However, in my sitcom called life, I know the writers have got something planned. On a lighter well heavier note, I am now five pounds closer to my goal. Today I deadlifted 365 lbs. Just 35 more pounds and I will be where I want to be fitness wise. I can say by my 40th birthday I deadlifted 400 lbs while weighing 175. I actually had someone conduct a body fat composition test on me and guess what, @179 lbs my body fat is at 18%. They say that's in the good to excellent category. Those who know me, know that if I see the higher bar, I won't be sastified until I reach it. So guess what will go back into my routine, high intensity cardio. No I'm not going to run a marathon, but I will put running back into my workouts. In fact don't laugh, but I am givng some thought to learning the Olympic lifting technique. It's fast explosive and will wear your ass out fast. Deadlifting really isn't that hard, it's more so about technique. Just as squats, technique is key. In fact one of the trainers at my gym paid me a compliment saying he was impressed with the amount of weight I was squating after deadlifting thre sets of 315. The other thing you learn is controled breathing. When you pull six 45 pound plates and a 45 pound bar you learn quick to take all the air you can so you can explode off your heals, your quads, your hams, your calves, your glutes just to get the bar off the ground. Your lower back and glutes along your shoulders, forearms, wrist tricepts finish the job. Oh don't forget the abs, you can't forget the abs. Doing that, better yet mastering that, which can take a long time, really to me is the ultimate stress reducer. It's just a physical challenge, but mental as well. You must be focused because one wrong turn of the hip or back can easily put you down. You learn quickly from mistakes like that because repeating them means more time out on the sidelines. Ok enough for my philosophical banter on weightlifting. I'm off to pickup the Red Chief read some books and as I laugh about it, probably cook some more brownies.
Cheers

No comments: