Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Recovery: Counting Blessings

Even as I look at my son make a mess on the floor eating his pasta, I forgot a very important lesson. Be thankful for what you've got. Yesterday, I could honestly say that if I were to go away from this planet, not that I have plans to, I honestly can say I have lived a life that is full. I did something that really was fufilling, me and Red Cheif actually played ball outside. I threw the football and he ran it back to me! We kicked the soccerball and just got active! Seeing a smile on his face as he was enjoying learning how to run with a football or control a soccer ball made me honestly look to the sky and say thank you to the Creator! I honestly could say I was blessed. Even with the transition going on in my life right now, and trust me I do have my moments, I can now understand the concepet, "in the best interest of the child.". NOTE to Fathers: learn to celebrate even the smallest things from your children. Now allow me to qualify that. Mediocracy is no what anyone strives for. First place isn't what one strives for. However, what one should strive for, at least I now do, is the effort and journey it takes for one to arrive at their destination. Here is an example I would like to share. A friend of mine told me of their childs preformance at a track meet. It was the son's first time running track. The parent was so excited for the child but unfortunately, track spikes for little boys aren't easy to find. When they finally did locate the spikes, the shoes were black and pink. Being comfortable in my masculinity, for me, if I had to wear pink track spikes, I'd do it just to psych out the competiton. Of course gender construction and the preformance of gender just doesn't fly too well with a ten year old. So the parent did what a loving parent would do, they painted over all parts that were pink. When I saw the finished product, I had to snicker because eventually my day is coming with Red Cheif. So anyway, the day of the track meet, his first mind you, he came in last. The parents concern was not the he came in last, but that he made excuses for his preformance. When they shared this with me my first concern was how did the paint job hold up. Then I asked if I could offer an oppinion. When I learned their concerned was linked more to the litnany of excuses, the first thing I offered was not to link the comentary about excuses to to running track. The cause effect relationship that could have possibly could create bad memories of track and possibly squelch the next Jesse Owens. The main thing that counts strangely is the response a child gets from the parent. Praise the child for the preperation to get to
the point of competiton. Praise the child for getting out there and running. Praise the child for the gumption of getting out of
the house to play in the sunshine. NOTE to DADS: get out there with them. In my case even though I bought a $250.00 electric train for
my son for Christmas, the experience of throwing the 8 dollar football, and seeing him run it back to dad smilling and saying let's do it again, to me that's the definition of priceless. Yeah I admit it I got a rush out of throwing the football a long way, chalk one up for biceps, but he also got a rush seeing dad actively fit, throwing the ball like an NFL quaterback. In his mind he's looking at dad like wow! My dad can do
that. You know what, if I can be my son's hero, then I have an obligation that's bigger than me and my woes. NOTE to Dads: you don't have to wear a cape or know how to fly or even be bullit proof or even ride in a 82 black trans am that is all of the above to be a hero to your child: just be there and be an engaged dad. That way you will always be a superhero to your child! That said: I AM IRON MAN! While my son is Batman in training :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love white folks they get me paid I'm smiling as I'm typing this. Lol hehehehehehehhahahah