Friday, March 12, 2010

Discipline and Punish: a different spin

The 37lb boss man decided to show me who was boss this morning. The boy took me to tantrum town. I felt like cool hand Luke going up against the man with no eyes. It was like he said mercy is for the weak! we do not train to be merciful here. I can understand part of it. Transition is hard on everybody. Part of me thinks that a lot of the acting out is linked to his furstration that things aren't as they were. I know when I was a little bit older than him and something like this happened when I was eight, I escaped reality through television. There was not a tv show I did not watch up until my bedtime. I think that solidified my place as one who would have a strong tie to media. I guess a positive side effect was that I gained an excelerated vocabulary. Of course the big minus was that I never did my homework. Which up until high school, I was a marginal student. When I got to high school I had to confess to my mother that I had never read a book in my 14 years on the planet. That's a heavy confession I made rt before we moved to Tennessee. When we got to Knoxville, my English grades were so horrific that I was place in remedial (now developmental) English. However when my placement scores finally arrived it was discovered that I needed to be in excelerated English. As far as I was concerned, it wasn't too soon as I think I was starting g to piss off my classmates by answering all the questions in class. Needless to say I got in my first and only fight in highschool. Brains or no brains the homosexual teacher of our class promptly took his two fighting Negro students off to the principle of vice. Note I did not say vice principal but princeable of vice because all he did keep the out of line students in order. It didn't help matters much that he was the baseball coach who played minor leauge ball. I remember him asking us, I can call your parents and we can wait for them to get here or I can handle this my way and get you boys back off to class. To me it was a no brainer, if the mom has to be called out of her graduate level class then I would catch double jeopardy. Needless to say took The Board of Education for 200. That man could throw a damn paddle. He made us empty our pockets and spread our hands on the desk. After two good hits, I knew that I would not be a repeat offender. I mean taking wood with this other kid was for him I'm sure gratifying because here was the "little professor" getting his ass popped. I could take it, I didn't flintch. I'm not going to say I didn't feel it. But I didn't flintch neither. I guess the bottom line is this. Disciple of children must start at home so that redneck baseball coach doesn't get in office batting practice.

No comments: