Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Idiots Guide to a Being Black Man: How to survive a traffic stop


This morning I am on the verge of making a rather simple decision... I am debating on to or not to actually start creating video logs on youtube. Like I really have time for that-- Youtuebe in hindsight is a rather interesting communications device which really could be used to help folks--once you master the technology. Hence why today my life is a sitcom. I am trying to link my blog site to Itunes so that I can have a global audience. -- The first episode of my proposed youtube show-- I need to get a title that's catchy that can easily connect to my blog is going to deal with how to react to getting stoped by the police why being young and black. Honestly, I think that would be a very good survival guide for young African American boys growing to men. Can you imagine the backlash of such a book, "Being Young Black and Male for Dummies." I think it actually has universal appeal when you think about it. On to the proposed episode:
Friday night, my younger cousin (since I am 20 years older, I call him my nephew) had the experience of seeing his friends go through a field sobriety test at the gas station on Friday night. For the purposes of comparison-- I'm 39 he's 18. I'm dressed in jeans 1/3 of a three piece suit while he has his shorts pulled down show his boxer shorts. OK -- he's 18 and lets admit it, when we were 18, all of us did some things which pretty much had our parents where did I go wrong. Aside from his obvious fashion faux pas, at the gas station I noticed two young cats (bruhs) who been unavoidably detained by three white police officers. In my truck, my neph is like I know them, they my people. I'm like sit your ass in the car cause ain't nothing can do for them right now. What does he do, he tries to text them.... I'm like now this is messed up because you going to text them while they are being frisked. For all I know, he probably was going to put them on facebook. Again-- another dumb move. Thank god in 1988 and 1989 this stuff didn't exist. So anyway as I am pumping the gas I'm keeping my eye on the situation for two reasons. The first is because the boys did seem surrounded and out numbered by the police and I wanted to offer some type of brotherly support just by my presence. (Call it the John Shaft in me) The second was to keep my eye on the police. I wanted to make sure they did their job, no more, no less. Again, all the police present, who looked like scrtom heads with their jacked up low hair cuts needed to know that somebody had their eye on them who actually had some knowledge about police procedure. What could have happened is that these young cats could have submitted a search of their car without being fully cognizant of their rights. The basic rule is that the police do not have the authority to search one's car without their consent. Without the consent, you have to have a warrant or probable cause. Teens don't know this and therefore could easily wind up on the short end of the doo doo stick without even knowing it. Getting back into the car, my nephew was like, why were you watching. I was like, there is no law stating I cannot watch the police executing their duties form a safe distance provideing I do not interfere with them doing their job. Now, if I did see something that was jacked up, I had my camera with me along with a recorder -- the I phone is a bad thing. Greatfully everything turned out safe and the only problem was the kids, new to driving, made a bad turn and they were let go. Ok that said.
Here are my suggestions -- though I am not a lawyer --and one should consult with either their own attorney or seek your state and local general statutes or codes.
1) Make sure the rear of your car is straight. This means your plates are up to date. The police drive crown victorias, dodge chargers and in some cases unmarked pursuit vehicles. In Wake County- the sheriff actually has Corvette C6 in his arsenel for high speed purists-- don't beleive me, here is a link to the story.
2) If you are pulled, especially at night. Cut off the engine and put both hands on the steering wheel in plain sight. At this point--your job is to go home safe and in one piece.
3) Keep your driving credentials all in one central location which is expected. Don't be stupid and try to get the in formation out of the glovebox while the officer is pulling you over. Wait until you are asked,
4) Do not, under any circumstances drive with anything suspicious in plain view. This would include bottles, weapons (unless you have the proper credential) baggies or anything ward cleaver would not drive with.
5) When approached keep your answers short and to the point. Officers can ask some of the dumbest questions. "Do you know why I stopped you." Chances are you know but deniability is a freebee so use it. "No sir, No ma'am." Let the officer guide the conversation -- strangely they too are human and want to go on about their business. Make it easy for them and yourself.
6) Do not become alarmed when the second car with two officers approaches. This is for the officer's safety. Please beleive it, that officer will be going home to his family-- you might, provided you play your cards right.
7) When asked, supply the officer with the requested documents. If you have a friend in the car with you. Make him or her shut up. You are the one who has been pulled by the police, not your friend. If your license is out of date, just own it. When you go to court and show the new license, it's a wrap.
8) The officer will more than likely return to his vehicle and preform a local and federal warrants check while issuing you the citation if any. At this time be calm.
9) When he comes back--in the event there is some outstanding paper-- be smart. Get out of the vehicle and have your friend call your nearest bail bondsman-- in the event, you are free to go. Thank the officer and be on your way.

common sense prevails. on the street, the police officer is the law--in the court room-- the judge is the law

No comments: