Saturday, April 24, 2010

Just the two of us

Even through my ranting I still have to be thankful. I have a place to lay my head, a place for my son to lay his head and most important, I don't have to eat out of a garbage can, nor sit at the corner of the intersection asking for money. Don't get me wrong I'm still in a phase of recovery, but for now 14 days I can say I haven't been to that dark place I was at some time ago. This week marks my first week with my son in our new spot and well let me say I am leaning a new found respect for the song "just the two of us" the orginal and the remake. Everyday is not perfect. I don't see rainbows and butterflies everyday, but I am gaining a new found respect for them when I see them. That to me is progress. If anyone has read from my other posts they can still catch my lamenting over the domestic violence protocols in my state. In fact I have another update to add but more on that later. Even as I sit in my new abode, disgusted with my current martial woes, my son inspires me to keep on pushing. I'm learning even through my disciplening of him, despite sometimes I don't even like having to play the heavy, he is worth the fights I've fought, the setbacks, the tears and lonely nights I've had to endure. For him, and even now for me, I'm starting to accept what's happened, dust off my britches, and look at what I preceived as failures and now turn them into opprotunities. Ok so right now, I don't have a job but I've worked and continue to work to change that. Last year this time I had a signed contract to be gainfully employed, now I am among the jobless stastics. Last year this time I was a Ph.D. student. Inspite of what life has thrown at me, I'm now a doctoral candidate. In fact today I made a slight slip up and miss spoke. I said when I was in Washington, DC defending my dissertation when I caught myself and said proposal. I can chalk that up to Freud. Last year this time I was (what I thought) happily married. Now I am seperated. But even with that, I've been reminded that progress is made with baby steps, one at the time. Even mote important, as long as I at least take one step, somehow, I'll be blessed with two. The smallest things the least significant thing I took for granted, I now have to be thankful for because they are markers of progress. Last week I bought some cheep flatware. Just knives forks and spoons. Last night I bought a skillet and this morning cooked a small breakfast for myself and my son. Today I was blessed with a full set of dishes. Here is where the thing called inatiative comes in. Like a nut, I didn't bring a box for the dishes. But my son and I needed dishes. Well, putting my pride in my pocket, I put the dishes in my truck and drove cautiously down the highway. Old friends and new associate members of my changing circle are really pulling for me to succeed inspite of the circumstances and more important inspite of myself. As I think about the two of us, my son and myself, I guess I too am one Gods children (Alaha, Budaha's etc) and sometimes with that relationship, the spiritual one, it too is just the two of us, the Creator and I.

No comments: